Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Kindness Matters

It seems like there has been a lot of  debating, bashing, and less tolerance on social media lately.  It seems like every time I choose to look at social media someone is offending someone else, and feelings are hurt.  I have read on several posts where people are unfriending and or unfollowing others to avoid the negativity of others.  There are also people who like myself, who are choosing not to look at social media frequently, but I'm also depriving myself of not being able to see all of the positive things my family and friends are up too.

Yesterday was my youngest uncle's birthday.  A year ago he suffered a stroke, that I know personally changes a person's life and their family's life forever.  As I got on Facebook, to wish him a Happy Birthday, my heart was filled with gratefulness that he was still living on this Earth to celebrate another birthday with family and friends!  However, as I was scrolling down through my feed I saw so many comments of hate, unfairness, people saying that they are unfriending or unfriended because they were offended by what someone had said or what they did to them, and many other unkind remarks.  Reading these comments caused my heart to hurt and I felt angry.  However, while I was in the car shuttling my kids around we were listening to the new Primary music CD that we were given the other day, and as we were listening to those songs I told my kids, "You know what I love these Primary songs because it simply reminds us that regardless of what is going on in the world kindness matters and we need to do our best to be Christlike whether we agree with others or not.  People matter more then events, and if we choose to be offended or if we are the offender then we need to seek forgiveness and move on."

A year ago when I almost lost my uncle and five years ago when I almost lost my own life taught me powerful lessons that I need to sometimes be reminded.  The lesson I learned was that life can be taken from anyone one of us on a moment's notice, and each of us face our personal challenges and we all need each other to help us on this journey of life so lets focus on the people who we love and matter most to us because in the end everything is going to be okay!