I PASSED! Today I went to Neuro-Rehab for my driving assessment with the Occupational Therapist. The assessment was challenging and six weeks ago I would have failed so I'm thankful that it did not happen until today even though the wait was long. The assessment was two hours long. She tested my eye and hand coordination, muscular strength, my visual perception, visual closure, reaction time, visual fields, my memory, and of course I had to drive a simulated car in all sorts of circumstances. Zachary would have been in pure heaven! However, it was another humbling moment in my recovery and I realized that even though my Neurologist can be ultra-conservative he truly has been closely monitoring my care and wants me to return to my best health. I have been blessed to have him as one of my provider's. At the end of the assessment, my OT reported that I passed and barely with the visual fields. I walked out of Neuro-Rehab and my Speech Therapist, my Neurologist, the ICU team who cared for me, and my family were out there clapping for me. There were many tears and hugs. This was the first major step in my recovery that has been completed. I still have a couple of more steps, but I have some of my freedom back. In a few weeks, I have to see a Neuro-Psychologist for further assessment, but this will only help me if and when I go back to my career. This summer I have to take a University course for my teaching cert. so the assessment will provide me with my needed accommodations. And yes I still can only ride the bike at the gym and only escorted of course! However, I can drive myself to the gym!
Kirk captured some photos One is of the kiddos and I by The Critical Care Unit symbolizing how far I have come since August 31st. A special thank you to all in Neuro Rehab!